Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Weight of Diets...


This morning during my devotional, I read a quote from the book, “Peeking into a Box of Chocolates” a book about temptations in life.  It read, “Fasting is an act of humility and dependence on God; dieting, except for health reasons, can be a proud act,( I can make my body look however I want it to”), whose goal is pleasing people rather than God.”  Hello…. What more is there to say because as a woman I’ve been there way too many times?   I use to buy into the world’s temptations of worshiping thinness and worrying about how people saw  me.  I can’t believe how many hours I wasted on such lies and not on the truth of God’s acceptance and love for me. 
                 Now, I’m almost forty years old (No shame here! ) and it has taken me this long to accept myself the way I am.  Sure, I’d love to be thinner, but what is the cost?  If it means, hours at the gym, comparing myself to weight charts, magazines and media—no thank you!  When I was younger, I would obsess over my looks and unfortunately, I probably passed that down to my oldest daughter too.  Forgive me, God and forgive me, Kayla!  Obsessive thinking can lead to an idolatrous heart.  I was guilty as charged!  Instead of obsessing over God’s promises and His love for me, I was too involved with myself –my pride was heavier than even my weight at times!  Needless to say, the weight of it was not easy to take off.  The need to be thin and the pressure to look a certain way was too much for me to carry, never mind the fat I might have been carrying. 
                However, God has been gracious to me and I’ve slowly learned that weight and looks are not as important as my love for God.   I’m so grateful for the freedom to be me, no matter what that looks like to others.    I now choose to exercise to be healthy because I want to be around for my kids and potential grandchildren.  Hours at the gym are a thing of the past.  Instead, I take walks on my treadmill watching a favorite show or outside.  Both are enjoyable and healthy!  No pressure, just peace.
                 John 6: 27, 35, 48-58 says, “ Don’t waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides. He and what he does are guaranteed by God the Father to last.”  I’ve also learned that food can work for me or against me.  I look at it as a source of nutrients and energy, not my enemy.  God’s intention was for me not to be obsessed about what I eat but rather be filled with all the blessings He has for me.   Goodbye diets, goodbye tedious, long workouts, goodbye obsessive thinking and eating, goodbye lies! I won’t miss you or even grieve over you. I am a new creation In Christ!  Instead, I will enjoy the life that was meant for me--freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment