Monday, April 11, 2011

Cheer or Not to Cheer


                I had completed my 4th load of laundry, scrubbed the bathrooms clean, mopped the kitchen floor, went grocery shopping and even planned Spring Break for my family and it was all done by 2p.m. You go, girl!  I smiled, wondering why all my days weren’t always as productive. Heck, I even got my exercise and devotion in too.  Of course, there was no one around to give me a pat on the back or thank you.  So, I poured myself a cup of coffee and added flavored creamer and  real caramel to it to reward myself.  After all, I deserved it, right?
                Sometimes being a mother and a wife can be a thankless job. You’re left feeling unappreciated and unimportant.  However, we may know deep down inside that it’s one of the most important job there is; at least for me that is!  I am honored serving my children and raising the next generation.  Being a military wife is an honorable call that I take  seriously, too.  However, I have those days where I am tempted to wonder what it would’ve been like if I hadn’t gotten married or had kids. What would I be doing? Who would I be? Hmmm…..
Needless to say, I quickly come out of those places because I know that part of my purpose is exactly what I am doing, being a comfort and encourager to my children and a help mate to my husband.  Yes, some days I don’t get acknowledged for my commitment and hard work, but not everyone behind the scenes always does.  My title may be only, “mom” or “Mrs. Blow” but in my heart, I know I am worth a lot to my kids and my husband – and more so, to God!  The Word of God says, “For what a mean thinks in his heart, so he is.”  I know the value my life has a purpose and a meaning behind it.   I’m called to be a servant and there is great pleasure in this when I chose to see it for what it is and what it’s not. It is a high call to lay down your life so someone else can be strengthened by it.  Jesus did this for us in ways that go beyond understanding.
                Will Rogers once said, “ We can’t all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.”  How true this is.  One day, my kids will grow up and get married.  Hopefully they will become the people God created them to be.   I will have the satisfaction of knowing I helped in shaping and loving them to that place. I may not be perfect at it, but at least my heart was in it.  The same goes with my husband…
Are you willing to sit on the curb or behind the scenes, encouraging and supporting others today in your life, even if you never get acknowledged and thanked for it? I can only imagine Jesus might have felt that way when He decided to support us through His sacrifice. Today, cultivate a commitment to be great cheerleader and servant to someone today.  After all, you wouldn’t be here today had not someone sat cheering you on.   Have a great week cheering others on as God cheers you on behind the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment