Monday, January 24, 2011

No Fear of Bees! (Fear is part of success)



                               
                       Shakespeare said, “He is not worthy of the honeycomb that shuns the hive because the bees have stings.”  Fear is part of success.  However, you don’t have to let it control you.  I remember the first time I spoke in front of a group of Christian ladies, I was terrified! My hands began to sweat, my voice crackled and I was terrified of looking and sounding stupid. I had no clue of what I was doing.  I was asked by a friend to simply give some encouragement to some ladies and because that was important to me, I was going to have to conquer my fear of public speaking.  I did what anybody else in my shoes would have done and I shortened my speech and got out of there! (LOL) 
                                Seriously, my point is  I tried and I did my best. I looked fear in the face and I slapped it! I made the decision to overcome my flesh and instead acted in faith.  It turns out that the ladies actually laughed and enjoyed my less than 15 minute speech.  I learned something about myself that day that I never knew before; I was actually talented at speaking.  Who knew?  The only speeches I ever gave before then were to my poor family when I was lecturing them about life.  I had no clue!  Had I not taken that chance, I would not be the woman I am today, a Christian Speaker and writer passionate about God’s love!   Since then, I have spoken at several Christian organizations across the United States.   Fear would no longer be a factor for me.  Had I not decided to overcome it, I would’ve never have experienced the success I did that day. Success comes in small steps that begin with making a decision to take one!  A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step.  When you have God leading your steps, there is nothing to fear because He is there holding your hand and cheering you on!
                                It’s been almost 8 years since that day and speaking comes as natural to me as sleeping and eating.  I love it!  It has become part of my ministry and call in life.  What fears are holding you back today?  How can you take some small steps in overcoming them?  Move past fear and into the arena of success.  What are you willing to do to get the honey without being stung?

No comments:

Post a Comment