Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bring on the Burn!

Though He was His Son, yet he learned obedience by the things which he suffered. (Hebrews 5:8)

It never occurred to me that Jesus would ever have a problem with obedience or that He would even have to learn it. After all, was He not God? Yes, He was but He was also made into a man with fleshly desires and temptations  just like us, but yet, He was the example to us that we could overcome with the help of His father.

Life will bring suffering. No two ways about it! Sometimes suffering can come through our own poor choices and other times, not. Just like Jesus, the poor man had to die because of our sin! Now that is not fair!  However, we can allow the trials we endure help us in the end. Even Jesus had to learn about obedience, just as we do.  God uses our suffering to help teach us more about the importance of His Word and the power of obedience to it. Jesus understood that His obedience would bring about change in ways we will never fully understand. He was sold out to pleasing His Father and sold out to Love, to the point of death! Love is not feelings but rather obedience to God's word! Obedience carries power to change us and the atmosphere around us.

Even today, as I look into this nation's political scene, I am grieved at how far we have missed the mark by not honoring God in some specific areas and now we are paying the price for it through our economy , etc. Hopefully, at some point we will wake up and learn from our mistakes, but only when we choose to follow God's word. Until then, we will continue to suffer until we learn to honor God through obedience to His will for this nation.

For me, personally  I have suffered in my life through my own poor choices and circumstances that I had no control over. I have learned that no matter what life throws at me, I will benefit most by RESPONDING  with obedience.

In a way it reminds me of exercising. I hate doing it but I know it is a discipline that benefits me. Especially when running, my legs and lungs burn like crazy, but in the end, I know the temporary suffering will bring on lasting change....So, do I dare say, "Bring on the burn!"...surely not, but suffering in life, can feel like we are being burned. However, if we choose to look at in a way of teaching us obedience which in the end leads to blessing, why not let it burn!

Today, as you go about your day, ask the Lord what He might be needing you to learn through your suffering or trial. Is there a powerful truth He wants to pass onto you so that you can truly walk in the fullness of His blessing ? It could possibly change your life, better yet your circumstances... Obedience is far better than sacrifice!!  Be willing to repent if you have missed the mark, we all do at times, no one is perfect. But more so, be willing to receive His grace for you and know that you are loved .

No comments:

Post a Comment