Saturday, November 20, 2010

Better is Better than Gold!


"When you cease to be better, you cease to be good." George Knox

How many times are we tempted to think that we have arrived at a place of superiority over people and circumstances in our lives? Probably more often than we would like to admit, huh?  For example, I have been a parent now for 18 years and I have 4 children. I have been through the infant, toddler and teen stage and understand the challenges well. However,  I could become tempted to think that I have nothing else to learn in the matter. How foolish this would be for me to do this? Believe me, my children are my teachers and I have much more to learn!

There is nothing respectable in thinking you are superior to someone. We must be willing to make progress in order for us to overcome our previous self. Are you willing to work towards progress and becoming better at situations and people in your life? Do you self examine your days,weeks  months or even years past to see if you have grown? If so, when was the last time you did this and what did you observe? Have you done anything about what you saw?

I am always telling my children that they must learn to be a teachable. We have to be a student of life constantly. When we fail to stop learning in  areas of our life then we just missed the point altogether about what life is all about. Life is a process of learning and journeying through challenges, growing to be the best person we can be. Be all you can be is what the Army challenges!  Hopefully, our goal is to improve daily. Be willing to put yourself into learning situations. Take on a new project or role whenever you have the chance. Don't remain the same there is no glory in that. Be willing to listen and ask questions, take yourself out of your comfort zone and change! When we choose to be a student of life, we open up ourselves to a world of possibilities that we never knew existed.

Lately, I have been wanting to improve on my reactions to frustrations throughout the day. I tend to become overwhelmed when things don't always go as smoothly as anticipated.  Being a mother of four and having a military lifestyle tends to set me up for  the attitude "anything goes."  Needless to say, I am not always willing to go!  I fight it tooth and nail becoming less then my best. I have my control fits and trust me they are no so pretty. However, I recognize this and am willing to work on it. Recognizing our need for improvement is half the battle. Being willing to make  a plan and following through is what is important.

You must be willing to make a plan. For me, I know my area of weakness so now I must plan the best route to improve. You can do this by seeking knowledge. I like to use the Word of God to help me. I have learned that the simple truth it contains our powerful and when applied, I can move mountains in my life. However, there are other options out there, like attending conferences or reading self help books or taking classes, etc. Action is required for change! King Solomon of Israel said, "Let instruction and knowledge mean more to you than precious jewels or gold."

I have thought about that truth through the years and desire nothing but the power to change my life by getting wisdom. When I seek wisdom and apply it , it becomes a powerful tool to success.  More so,  I must be willing to live by example but it starts with looking inward to do this. So, often we want others to change  so it makes our lives easier. However,  we don't have the power to change them, only ourselves. When we change ourselves, we then see the world differently and react to others better. Shouldn't this be our goal?

What  do you need to change in your life to become better in your relationships, marriage, finances, job, etc,.? What specifically are you doing today to better yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment