Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Savory Saturdays" for Couples


See! The winter is past, the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth;the season of singing has come....Arise, come, my darling;my beautiful one, come with me.....Song of Songs 2:11-13

Reading that verse brings so many memories flooding back to me on the day  I married my husband, Craig. He had given me a card the day of our wedding . Inside were declarations of his love towards me . He also hand wrote some of the scriptures from the Song of Songs, this one in particular. We celebrate another anniversary next month in November. I truly thank God for Craig because he has truly opened my eyes up to God's amazing blessing in marriage.

Since our marriage, we have always tried to set apart time for one another. We make it a point to schedule date nights and go on at least one weekend trip a year together. Those times have been fabulous! In between trips, we have started doing what we like to call "Savory Saturdays" once a month.  It is when we take turns planning something special for one another without the other knowing about it. This month is my turn and so I have planned a fun, romantic day out together. We take turns once a month.

Here are my plans and the reason I am telling all of you(yes, Craig might read this and find out the surprise, but that is what he gets for butting into my blog-lol!) is to help encourage you all to take the time to savor or cherish your spouse. Great marriages are about staying connected and taking the time to let one another how much they mean to you.

So, my plan is to take the man golfing! He loves to golf! Me on the other hand, I like to ride in the golf cart while sipping a latte and reading a magazine. However, this time I plan on participating in the sport and looking cute while I do it! Sounds like an excuse to go shopping to me!

Afterward, I thought we could enjoy an already packed picnic lunch together. I've had this wine and cheese back pack that I bought about 2 years ago and have never used it. Go figure? So, next weekend is the day I make use of it. There is a beautiful park by the river here in Leavenworth so I thought we would take advantage of a relaxing lunch by the river.


One of the very first dates that Craig took me on was to the Melting Pot. We love to eat fondue together so I have planned an evening dinner to end our "Savory Saturday" in Kansas City. It may sound like our day is filled with a lot but to me it is worth it once a month to go all out and cherish or savor the man I love.

I hope that you too will be inspired to start doing a "Savory Saturday" with your spouse. It doesn't have to be expensive or even lengthy. It could be as simple as breakfast in bed with a back massage and an evening stroll together.  Or maybe make him his favorite food and go on a picnic together. We have even gone to Barnes and Noble, drank coffee and read a book together then ended the evening with a great movie.  It really isn't what you do but rather the quality of time you are together. Go for a walk and drink some coffee by a beautiful river or park. Take a cooking class together or try out a new activity that neither one of you have ever done before. Get creative!  Write him a love letter and give it to him with his favorite dessert.  Just take the time to do something together one Saturday a month. If childcare is an issue, then take turns watching another couples kids and switch out. 

Our anniversary is soon, so I wanted to give him a  pre-anniversary gift is all. By the way, he has next months "Savory Saturday"and it just happens to be our wedding month(funny how that happened-lol)so it better be good!-lol

Happy Savory Saturdays, Ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment