Friday, February 4, 2011

Busted!



So there I sat, gripping the steering wheel, feeling guilty and wishing that I had not just challenged the police officer in front of my oldest son.  I swallowed hard feeling humbled as I turned to him to apologize for my less then best example.   I explained to him my mistake in allowing my frustrations (my flesh) to get the best of me.   I was wrong for speaking harshly to the officer that just handed me a speeding ticket even if I didn’t agree with his final judgment.  After all, He was just doing his job and there were no excuses for my poor behavior.  My mouth was filled with my size 8 ½ foot and there was nothing I could do about it.  I felt like a hypocrite because everything I have always preached to my son about being humble, not arguing and not making excuses was just being thrown back in my face- I just did.  Ugh!  My humble pie did not taste good!
                However, I had a choice to make.  Would I humble myself and make matters right and show my son the proper way to handle making a mistake or would I just blow it off and hope he would forget about it.   Although, I knew I wasn’t going to forget about it.   Ironically, all week   I had been trying to memorize James 1:19 that says, “Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”  I guess I failed this test or maybe the test was still in progress. Hmmm…
                It was obvious that I was embarrassed and   I prayed this up to the Lord over the next couple of hours of what He wanted me to do with it.  The cost of the ticket didn’t nearly hurt as much as  my pride did .  I thought of Titus 2:7 that says, “In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness.”  So, I decided to call the law officer that cited me my ticket and apologize for my harshness.  I felt this was a great teaching opportunity to teach Justin what to do when you have made a mistake- humble yourself.  Although, I may not have set the best example from the start, God still gave the grace and wisdom to make it right. This is what I love about God, His grace is always sufficient!  My prayer is that Justin will see my humility as a parent and learn from it. Most of all that he will see that I am not above reproach.
                In what way can you humble yourself and be an example for your children or for those around you today? How can you show integrity to your kids?  As parents and human beings, we won’t always be perfect, but as Christ’s children we will always have mercy and grace made new to us daily as long as we choose to walk in humility.  Teach your kids by example and use both your good and bad ones because in the end, God will use them all for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment