Thursday, March 3, 2011

My $16 Mint- ( True and Cool story!)



           
While shopping for some Spring bargains at Kohl’s yesterday(Did I mention I love a sale!), I happen to take out my Altoid Breath Mints while walking into the store.  For some reason, I find it refreshing to shop and enjoy a fresh, minty mouth. Who knows why- call me weird, but don’t call me late for a sale!  Since I didn’t have a coffee to suck down-mints would have to do. 
            Oddly, this lady saw my mints and says, “ Ooooh, are those mints?”  I smiled at her and said, “Why yes , would you like one?”
“ Really, Oh, honestly I couldn’t, uhm, I was just kidding, but since you asked…yes, please!”
So, I handed her and the young man she was talking to one and went on my merry way.  As I walked away, the young lady says, “Thank you SO much, honey!”
“You’re welcome-anytime!” I replied.
            Thinking nothing of it, I went about my mission to shop.  After all, sales were waiting for me to find them!  I was pleased to find some great bargains and was able to clothe my 4-year old son for the Fall of next year at an outrageously low price.  I rock- mission successful!  I proceeded to the checkout counter and this attractive, short-gray haired lady, began to ring up my items.  We had a short discussion about my great finds and she told my husband what great deals I had just made.  Craig of course, just graciously bit his tongue because he is not one to shop and gave a sarcastic smile.   However, he has learned the motto, “Happy Wife, Happy life!”  Let’s just say that I trained him well over the past 8 years.  Prayer works, ladies!
            All of a sudden, the lady who I gave the mints to( I now call her “mint lady”) walks up to the register and asks my cashier if she could get on the computer.  The clerk look confused and stepped out of the way.  I waited patiently as they messed with keys and codes.  Then, my clerk looked at me with a smile and says, “Our manager here(mint lady) has just awarded you an extra $16 off your purchase!”   I looked puzzled because I had not signed up for their credit card or anything that I knew of.  Besides, I was already being given a huge discount and I wasn’t expecting anything else.  The “mint” lady says to the cashier, “I gave it to her because she gave me a mint earlier.”  She winked at me and walked away.  It turns out my act of kindness just bought me $16 less on my bill.  Needless to say, Craig was happy and  so was I(picutre me doing a happy dance!:)
Who knew that one small act of kindness using a cheap mint would pay off-$16 worth in the end.  I know it may seem like nothing to some of you, but to me it was neat seeing God bless me like that.   Colossians 3:12 says, “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”   God gave me the grace to be kind  that day (trust me, I’m not always so gracious)and it payed off in more ways than just a $16 discount but rather in opening my eyes to see that kindness is contagious!   I smiled as I walked away; popping another Altoid in my mouth and thanking God for the breath of fresh air He just blew my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment