Monday, March 28, 2011

Do You Like to Stand or Sit?


Today is like any other day and I find myself taking on small battles as I try to get things done.  For the past couple of weeks or so, my family and I have been sick.   Thankfully, this has passed and now I am ready to be productive again as a wife and mother.  I feel rested and ready to go! Of course, as I take that stand out of the bed, I am reminded that I have an enemy waiting to knock me down again with the everyday of overwhelming obstacles and responsibilities I face.  For the average military wife and mother, this includes: laundry, cleaning, organizing, grocery shopping, playing and teaching kids, carpools, errands, or whatever else might come up.  Need I say more? I know I am speaking to some of you!
                My temptation is looking at the mountain of things that I need to do and becoming overwhelmed with it –quickly! In other words, I want to quit before I even get started.  During these times, I am tempted to crawl back into bed with a good book or plunk(is this a word?) myself on the couch and watch some meaningless show to take my mind off my life. Doesn’t that sound much easier to just give into my flesh?   Please don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my life, but at times it can be a bit redundant and overwhelming to say the least.  But, this is the Life God signed me up for SO I look to Him for the provision and the grace to see me through victoriously, right? Honestly, some days I do forget He is there to help. Just saying!
                This morning, the battle in my mind began as I pondered my strategy to overcome my flesh. I guess I got use to resting too much the past couple of weeks!  I smiled to myself as I thought of God who is my Helper as I read Psalm 119:70 it says, “ Your word, O Lord, is eternal, it stands firm in the heavens.”  So often Satan wants us to sit it out in life and not take a stand in the midst of the everyday.  Have you ever found it easier to stand in the valleys and the peaks and find it harder to stand in the mundane of everyday? Or is this just me?  We are often told throughout scriptures to take a stand but what does this really mean for the everyday ?
                Well, I have an answer and I hope it moves you as much as it moved me to stand today.  In Hebrew , the word stand means to set up, be established, be made healthy, to plant, be placed in a position of authority, to be made erect.  However, it is Satan’ s job to keep us from this blessing of promise when we  rely on God to help us to this.  The last thing He wants is for you to be  is productive and strengthened.  The everyday battles only make us stronger if we choose to overcome them and stand in God’s grace.    I know some of you might be asking, “What kind of authority do I need to do dishes and laundry?”  I understand, trust me as I type this and look at the dishes in my sink. 
                Well, my point is that Satan tries to frustrate us and keep our minds off Christ.  If I give into the temptation of overwhelming to-do-lists then most likely, my mind is off Christ and on my flesh. If my flesh wins then I am out of Christ and can’t be the wife, mother and woman of God He calls me to be in the everyday!   As mother’s and wives we fail to see the bigger picture that we are in fact serving our families and even the Kingdom of God through these things.  At times,  it is not the most glamorous job and there is no paycheck at the end of the week, but rather more chores ahead facing us and a to-do list that keeps on growing.  However, we must learn to stand in the everyday because this is where it counts the most!  The everyday shapes you for the bigger things to come. It trains and equips you in love.   If we choose to sit on the side line and not stand up and persevere then we are missing it altogether.  We are called from glory to glory and that can’t happen if you are sitting, pouting, complaining and discontent.
                What areas of your life are you tempted not to stand in faithfulness in( job, talents, finances, marriage,God's Word, children,health, etc..)  Will you keep allowing the enemy to knock you out of your true authority and call? Take hold of God’s truth which will help you stand so that you can be made healthy, erect and established for great things.  Happy Monday everyone!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment